- (1 lb) Pork, Jowls Sliced
- (1/4 cup) Maple Syrup
- (1/2 cup) Brown Sugar
- (1/4 teaspoon) Black Pepper
- (1/4 teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
- (1/2 - 1 teaspoon [depending on your spicy preference]) Red Pepper Flakes
Air Fryer Method
- Mix together the brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes in a medium-sized bowl.
- Cut the jowl strips in half if needed to better fit in the air fryer.
- Then lay the jowls out on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Generously drizzle the maple syrup over the jowl strips.
- Next, spread a generous amount of the brown sugar seasoning on the jowls.
- Transfer the jowls to your air fryer basket or air fryer tray.
- Air fry at 350 degrees F for 8-9 minutes (8 minutes for soft jowls and 9 minutes for crunchy jowls).
- Place the cooked pork jowls on a paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet to cool for about 5 minutes. The jowls will continue to get crispy as they cool.
- Repeat the above steps until all the jowls are air-fried, as it’s not likely that it will all fit in the air fryer in one batch.
Follow above steps 1-5. Bake the jowls for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F, flipping halfway through. Watch the jowls closer near the end to ensure that the sugar doesn’t burn.
Follow above steps 1-5. Fry the jowls at medium heat for 10-15 minutes, flipping them as they cook.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer basket or tray, you may need more than one round of air frying to cook all the bacon.
- After the cooking time has finished, you can air fry in 1-minute increments until you’re satisfied with the crunchiness.
- You can crumble jowl bacon with crispy skin to make bacon bits!
- Be sure to let the slices fully cool. This will allow the caramelized sugar to harden.